Tuesday, December 28, 2010

I-Roasted...

IRoast2 40011 5-2/7-Ounce Coffee-Bean Roaster, BlackRecently I was on holiday in a remote place armed with a good Jura coffee machine, and some green bean, and an I-Roast, an excellent domestic roaster. And I was happy to spend time reaquanting myself with the little roaster.

I first used the I-roast over 4 years ago, and had some fun learning the nuances of the roasting of green bean, but it was only after spending time in front of larger more commercial raoster, the Diedrich that I started to really play with the I-Roast. And I learnt then that slowly heating the bean, then after 6-7 mins increasing the temp slowly that you go great results, close to the commercial roaster, but with a smaller volume.

So armed with my historical knowledge I was fortunate enough to have Yirgacheffe green bean, which I prefer at the moment of second crack, and away I went. For interest this is what the end program looked like:

  1. Temp 160°C, time 6:45
  2. Temp 170°C, time 30sec
  3. Temp 180°C, time 30sec
  4. Temp 190°C, time 30sec
  5. Temp 200°C, time 30sec
and this did the trick. The roaster is a little noisy but it is so cool watching as the green bean, become a greeny brown, then light brown then darker and darker. But don't stare at the horizon too long, since then you will miss is. And then after the 4 minute cool down, I found a 30 minute resting period was best before enjoying a freshly ground brew.

No comments:

Post a Comment